Tuesday 22 May 2012

A Quick Word on the Exclusive Brethren

Just wanted to put a quick post up about a study I stumbled across the other day when educating myself about TV’s latest spotlight cult – The Exclusive Brethren. I started reading about them a few weeks ago after ACA’s latest attack on their so called ‘migration’ into suburban Melbourne. The study was done by Gary Bouma – who I’m sure we are all familiar with by now. Its only really centred around marriage and divorce statistics but shows that despite the medias ‘demonization’ of the so called ‘cult of the Exclusive Brethren’ marriage and divorce rates within the Brethren community remain at rates far greater than that of general society. I guess it’s just another example of how media can wholly focus upon one aspect of a religion, whilst at the same time sidelining another. 


No comments:

Post a Comment